Anne - Snoqualmie, Washington

I believe in the importance and power of beautiful surroundings. Every day I feel fortunate to have grown up in the Pacific Northwest, which I have discovered over my lifetime to be one of the most scenic areas in the United States. In my early 20’s I went through a humiliating and painful divorce. While all the other young 20 something hipsters were moving into the cities to live a life surrounded by culture, art, coffee shops, clubs and all the other fabulous things the city has to offer, I was drawn to the mountains. At this time, I was an avid mountain biker and was familiar with an area in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains where new homes were being built. As I was driving in this general direction one day, searching for some sort of new life for myself, I felt an almost a magnetic pull to the area. Once I arrived, I discovered a new apartment complex under construction where I quickly signed a lease to become one of the first residents. While living among the tall evergreens and sweeping mountain scenery, I finally began to discover peace. A peace of mind knowing that life was going to turn out alright, things could only get better.

This state of mind was also reflected in my modest little apartment, where I created surroundings for myself that brought the beauty from outside into my living space. I used my home to express my feelings and creativity which drew in friends and family. They too found enjoyment in my setting and appreciated the peace and calm of my home and new life.

Overtime, I found a new partner who I’ve been married to for 5 years. We’ve since grown into a larger house in the same area which has allowed me endless opportunities to take long walks in the woods and return home with reinvigorated inspiration, to decorate and express myself through my surroundings. My home is not only a place where I eat and sleep, but also a place to nurture relationships, inspire creativity, enjoy life, and find inner peace. It’s my beautiful refuge from the mundane and stressful tasks of everyday life. It has also become a refuge for others. I take pride in my accomplishment to create a space in which people have expressed to me how comfortable and at ease they feel in my house. I believe life is about; loving yourself, loving others, and loving your surroundings.