Walter - El Paso, Texas

My beliefs have been changed back and forth just like a kid’s favorite toy. My Parents have different expectations and beliefs that they want me to follow. As I was growing up I tried my best to get along with everyone by agreeing with them in their pathetic beliefs. I imagined being a person I wasn’t, I told stories of all the “things” I had done, I only tried to fit in the crowd. As I started to get older I knew that what I was doing was wrong. All the events I had lived reflected on me and made me think of what I had been taught to think and believe.

My life was to do and think what my parent’s wanted. They wanted me to be perfect; they wanted everyone to like me. I was under pressure all the time to make them happy. I had to do whatever they told me to do it was like being their double. This was until one night in December. It was during Christmas everyone was opening presents, except me. I found out it was because they didn’t know me. But why I was a good kid I never got into trouble I never spoke back and I always listened the first time. The problem wasn’t that they didn’t like me but rather no one knew my interests, what I liked playing, they didn’t know what to get me. When I saw everybody opening presents except me I felt humiliated I felt depressed and trust me that, Christmas of 1994 was the worst Christmas ever.

I put a lot of thought into things and made a decision to stick up for what I believed, if my decisions were good or bad, didn’t matter after all that’s the only way we learn in life. After that night I decided to show everyone how god had created me. I wanted everyone to know what I liked doing what I liked playing.

I live day to day by showing everyone what I like, my interests, my favorite music in other words I like being open I want people to know that I have nothing to hide.

Because I was under pressure for all my expectations I knew I had to do something. I did the most honest thing I could I spoke to my parents and told them my stand on the way they treated me and that I too wanted to have opinions of my own. Since that day every thing changed my parents now allow my to think on my own all I had to do was talk to them.

I now believe in being me and not letting anyone control my beliefs, if they like me it will be because of the way I am and the way I treat them. I give respect to whoever to get respect back. I now live life the best way possible because after all, you never know when your last day will be and this I Believe.