Sathya - Lithia, Florida

The Sun of God.

Call me a modern day pagan, for this I believe, the Sun brings forth, sustains and ultimately destroys all life on our planet. I am not thinking of Helios/Apollo/Surya like Sun-god, driving a chariot across the heavens. I believe that big Thermo-nuclear fusion reactor in the sky is God.

Perhaps, my Christian brethren would believe I could be saved from damnation by the grace of a single vowel. I must explain my pagan belief is far removed from the beliefs of the Romans who cheered at the Circus Maximus.

I believe that there is no distinction between the Creator and the Creation. I believe that the Universe itself is God. The Universe is all there is, it was not created it by anything extraneous to it. The Universe is not a inanimate object, it is a growing organism. It meets a lot of criteria for life, It generates and consumes energy, it responds to stimuli. The effort to make a distinction between the two and adorn the Creator with human attributes is a human endeavor. I understand my belief parts ways with most religions, by its very premise and is rubbing shoulders with Atheism. This belief if taken in all seriousness would redefine life itself.

Is Life but an island of ‘consciousness of a self” within god, which dissolves back into God with Death? Is our birth a brief sabbatical from the realization that we are of god stuff? Is the defining and constant struggle in the universe not of Good and Evil but rather Order and Chaos? Do we live under a delusional sense of self-importance, as rulers of a virtual world we perceive as very real? Could all the perceptions of our senses, and every emotion we feel be a figment of our collective imaginations? I could honestly say “I am God” (‘I am of God’ is more accurate). But then, so is everything else in this entire universe. I admit I find it hard to really internalize this concept. Lot like the time stretch in the theory of Relativity, you know it makes sense but it just doesn’t ‘feel right’. So, I am as yet still a skeptical believer.

It is not a comforting faith, this all encompassing Paganism, shall we call it — Pantheism. I don’t know if faith is too loaded a word for my belief. I have no a sympathetic ear for my prayers. My belief offers no solace or emotional crutch when you really could use one. Myth, folklore and parables would make it easier to indoctrinate children into faith, alas there is none of that. This belief if taken in isolation, with scant regard for humanity could be a dangerous thing. With no day of judgment, no heaven or hell, no good or evil, our world could spin way out of control. The belief could be good for the environment though, this would take ‘being one with nature’ to a whole new level. I suppose this makes Pantheism fairly un-marketable as a ‘religion’, unless someone can pull off an ‘ L.Ron Hubbard’.

I look out of the window and see that nuclear reactor climb up in the morning sky, even if it were God it could not be more beautiful…. this I believe.