Elizabeth - Orrville, Ohio

I Believe…

As far back as I could remember I was always told not to judge a book by its cover, to give people a chance to show you who they are. I contradict everything that my mother has taught me about not judging others. No one really wants to admit they judge other people, and without sounding shallow, I will go out on a limb and say I am a person who judges a book by its cover.

It is not just the appearance of the person that I judge, however, it is important, but there are many other things that I look at. I do not usually judge by race, because I know there is no certain characteristic just for one race, no race is all evil, or the entire countries of Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan are terrorists.

Many times I find myself walking in a hallway or on the sidewalk and see a person who is not dressed very neatly, their clothes are dirty, torn, or wrinkled. Their hair is a mess and their shoulders are hunched over. I either cross to the other side of the street or hallway, or try not to stare or look them in the eye.

The way someone speaks is one of the main components I use to determine what kind of person he or she is. If a well dressed neat, and clean person walks down the street, but stops to talk to me, and he or she spoke with a horrible “Hill-Billy” accent I would automatically think that the person is not well educated and is some poor, bum.

About four months ago I went to a group job interview, as I walked in and took my seat I looked around at everyone and started choosing who would be hired or not. A tall girl came in and sat right beside me. Her hair and make-up was neatly done, her clothes were clean, and she sat very straight; she had confidence that this job was for her and no other one. Next, a boy came in with dirty Khaki pants, a torn AC/DC t-shirt on. He plopped down in his chair and never made eye contact with any of the interviewers. On training day for that job I finally got to see who was hired, I was not surprised. The tall girl who sat next to me was hired, but the boy wasn’t. No matter how great the personality may be it is all about the appearance and the way a person carries his or herself in the end, they need to look as if he or she has confidence, whether they do or not. If a cover looks torn and beat up, then the inside will not be well kept, it will be just as torn and beat up as the cover.

I do not feel that I am shallow, or just being mean I am being aware of the people around me. Judging a book by its cover has never steered me wrong, it in fact in some cases it has kept me out of dangerous situations. It has taught me to be aware of the people around me. In today’s society being naïve is not the key, not everyone has the potential to be good, or may be smart, and have a good life. I may only be eighteen, but I feel I am confident in my opinions and gut feelings when judging someone.