Adam - Orrville, Ohio

“The only discipline that last is self-discipline” (Bum Phillips). I believe that all of us should live by this quote to an extent in our lives. Life can throw many different things at us; sometimes we aren’t prepared for what is to come. When bad things happen sometimes there won’t be anyone who can support us through our problems and hardships but ourselves. Being able to manage time, emotional feelings, and stress independently, I feel that can build a stronger character.

In today’s society, I believe that people young and old rely too much on outside support and discipline. Some people can be lost without a group of people or single person in their lives telling them what to do, setting the example to live their lives. What will happen to them when that person or group is gone from their lives? Everyone needs to have his or her own thoughts, opinions, and be able to have self-discipline.

This proved true to me my freshman-wrestling season in high school when I was completely lost and scared. I was thrown into the varsity-wrestling scene with little knowledge of how things work. Quickly I found two seniors who took me under their wings and guided me through all my problems. They told me what to do and how to it. They talked about things like dealing with stress, fatigue, and weight loss. They were my guardians and at the time, my best friends.

After the season ended my friends and I remained close. When they received their high school diplomas, they were long gone, off to college. In my sophomore season, I felt like a freshman all over again. My leaders weren’t there to guide me and give me something to look up to. I was stressed all the time and confused because without my mentors I didn’t know how wrestling worked and how to deal with the hardships. I didn’t know how to deal with the weight-loss, practice stress, or how to balance my time between school and wrestling. I tried talking to my coaches and other teammates, but they just couldn’t add up to my senior leaders from last year. When the season ended, I felt like I had just gone through hell on earth. I went from being a strong confident freshman wrestler to a sophomore slump. In fact, I was the worst on the varsity squad that season.

I believe that my wrestling career turned out badly that year because I had relied too much on outside support and leadership the previous season. I really needed to take my lumps and learn from my mistakes as a freshman. I had no self-confidence or self-discipline on my own. It was good for me to look up to someone like that, but not base every single thought and action on what they said. I should have had the self-discipline to figure things out for myself. My senior role models weren’t always going to be there.

Today I take care of things mostly by myself and learn from my own mistakes. Some people may disagree with living like this but I feel it makes me strong mentally and emotionally. I don’t need to rely on other people to tell me what to do and how to live my life. If I have a problem I don’t whine and cry I deal with it as best as I can by myself. “The only discipline that lasts is self-discipline.” Therefore, I believe in self-discipline and I live by the adage.