Jessica - Iola, Wisconsin
Themes: disability

Treated Differently

My whole life I’ve been treated differently. It wasn’t because of a disability either. Other students have treated me differently because of the friends I choose, the way I look, and the way I act. I’ve never been the most popular person in school, nor have I been the skinniest. Throughout my life, I have watched my friends be criticized because they weren’t the skinniest people in the world. I become more and more frustrated as the days go by. The news is filled with stories of teenage girls attempting suicide or becoming anorexic because someone said they were fat or ugly. People shouldn’t be treated differently because they’re not pretty or skinny.

Don’t change your looks or what you do. Everywhere you look you see magazines with the models that look beautiful. In reality, those models may be skinny, but they’re made even skinnier by computers. It’s fine to want to be like the women in the magazines, but just remember, everyone’s not that skinny. You shouldn’t want to be skinny because of some guy or some group of friends. If the guy or the group of friends truly liked you, they wouldn’t care how skinny you are or how pretty you look. They should like you just the way you are and if they don’t, then they’re not real friends. You can usually tell who your friends are if you can trust and respect them. You’re a good friend if they can trust and respect you also. Everyone tells me that I can’t do an assignment or go out for a sport because I’m not the most talented person. No matter how much anyone says, when I think I can do something, I try it. I always try to do everything to the best of my ability. I always try and finish what I have started.

My friends have helped me through all my frustrations. You shouldn’t let anyone rule your life and tell you what you can and can not achieve. Take charge of your own life and don’t let someone else get the better of you. Be yourself because if everyone were the same, the world would be boring. Don’t change yourself for others. This, I believe.