fernando - el paso, Texas

This I Believe…

I believe there is never an excuse for not giving a tip. Why tip someone who gave us bad service? This is one of many things I have learned after my first day of work. Working as a server is one of the jobs which needs more appreciation than others. For me, there is a large percentage of people, who never learn to tip until they have experienced working as a server and I am one of them. I work as a delivery guy at Domino’s Pizza, and I have many experiences there, but there is one that changed my way of thinking, several months ago.

As a little boy ordering pizza I always gave exact change. Now that I work as delivery guy in the food industry I know that it is hard to please others especially when it comes to food. From the customer’s point of view, bad service means “there is no reason for giving him a tip” but from the server’s point of view, this means, the majority of the time, problems in the kitchen or any other wrong thing that could happen, and is not their fault. I can demonstrate the thesis by an experience a few months ago. It all started inside Domino’s, where the new guy took the order all wrong and also gave the wrong address, so that the number did not exist on that street, because he was being tested and was nervous when he took the order. After making the wrong order and having the wrong address for me it was hard to find the address. On my way to deliver the pizza I started to get stressed because I could not find the address and the faster you get there the better the service it was. On the way to my delivery, there was a traffic jam caused by an accident, which caused to take more time to deliver the pizzas. So not only was I given wrong order and address, I was being held down by an accident in the middle of the road. After taking an hour and twenty minutes to get to the right address, the customer opens the door, and while he was yelling at me and asking me, why I took so long, he also wanted to talk to my manager to do something about it; which means no tip for me, in most of the cases. The costumer was really angry at me, like if it was my entire fault, and since the costumer is always right I could not say or do anything else but apologize. After this incident, I learned to tip the person who is serving me no matter what.

Giving a tip is a symbol of being thankful to the person that served you. I learned the hard way to be thankful, I hope this experience can be helpful to you and, the next time you order pizza, think about it.