Jacqueline - Portsmouth, Virginia

This I believe…

I believe there is a thing such as fate. If there wasn’t then I would have never met my amazing boyfriend.

I have always believed in fate, but it was not until I moved back home with my mom during Christmas break my first semester in college that I realized even more in its reality. I moved back mainly to be closer to my boyfriend and get my old job back at Dairy Queen. I had been working there for about two years as a crew leader and decided to quit when I left for school. I was back for only a week when I got promoted to assistant manager.

Within a month of being back at work a very attractive man was hired as a manager trainee. He was learning how to become a general manager for Dairy Queen. His name is Kirk. I thought he was absolutely gorgeous, yet he was married and 10 years older than me. So obviously, he was out of the question and was simply eye candy. That was perfectly fine with me, since I had a boyfriend. Kirk made work fun and he became one of my best friends .We would talk about his wife and I would talk about my boyfriend. We just had fun working together and we made a wonderful team. Nobody could touch our drive thru time!

Kirk and I worked together for a while. Then one day he came into work really upset. He said that he needed someone to talk to that he could trust and someone he knew would not say a word to anyone. I was the person that came to mind. He told me some news that I couldn’t believe. He told me that his wife came home from Myrtle Beach and decided that she wanted a divorce. A divorce, she must be crazy I though. I was speechless. What do you say to a man who is about to loose everything? So I offered him my friendship and told him that I was always there if he needed someone to talk to.

In time, Kirk and I started hanging out and eventually; we started talking about the possibility of dating. At that point I decided to break up with my boyfriend. I did not think it was fair to stay in a relationship when I had been questioning our future and considering a relationship with someone else. So I took a risk at something I was unsure about. I gave Kirk a chance and it was the best decision I‘ve ever made.

Meeting Kirk is fate to me because originally he was going to be placed at a different store located in Virginia Beach, instead of where he was in Newport News. If Kirk would’ve gotten placed elsewhere I would’ve never had the opportunity to meet such an amazing person, make a new best friend, and meet the man that I am now madly in love with.