Monica - El Paso, Texas

I believe in the power of music to express what is inside my soul. I believe that through music, my thoughts and my feelings are best described. Whether it be relating to a song on the radio or a song that I might write if I’m down, I love listening to music, and singing songs. I have sung everything from opera music to religious music, but have never felt the same relief I feel when I write and sing my own. I found that when there are tough times in my life, I turn to music to heal my wounds or celebrate my joy.

About three years ago, when I was fifteen, I had been going through the typical adolescent symptoms of trying to find my place in this world. I went through many friends and always felt stressed about school and life. I couldn’t figure a way to express myself. One day, I was home alone and needed to talk to someone. I had a blank sheet of paper in my lap and a pen. I was getting ready to do my homework. As strange as it might sound, I started to hear a tune in my head and began to write down everything I was feeling. Before I knew it, I had completed my first song. I felt so relieved and found that writing songs was my way of releasing stressful emotions. I realized that after I had written down what I was feeling, a heavy weight lifted off my shoulders.

I find myself writing poetry at times, but nothing compares to writing music. There are times when my songs don’t make sense. I figure that as long as I get out what I feel, it really doesn’t matter if my songs make sense or not.

My mom one day found my lyrics. She confronted me about them and asked why I couldn’t talk to her about my problems. I explained to her that it is not always easy to tell someone how you feel for fear that they will reject what you have to say. I told her that it is easier for me to write down what I feel. My mom respects my music. After our talk, I now know I can talk to her about anything. I sometimes let her look over my lyrics so that she can give me constructive criticism.

Music has been instilled in me ever since I was in the womb of my mother. I believe that it will be with me throughout the rest of my life. I know I can always depend on music to be on my side. Though I rarely share my music with my friends and family, I do sometimes go to my cousins recording studio to record them. I do this so that I can keep them in my memory box. I do this because I believe that my music is a part of me and the legacy I hope to one day leave behind.