Megan - Austin, Texas

I believe you should lighten someone’s day up at least once a day. Whether it be through a smile, gifts, or compliments, a person who receives these gifts are amazed by the love they receive from one person. When one person receives a compliment or appreciation, they feel loved and believe they should pass that feeling onto another person. Believing in that a smile is contagious, I also believe any kind of appreciation can be passed along to another human being. Appreciation is any form of gratitude that thanks other people for their outstanding qualities or performances. For many years, I have heard the phrase, “Smiling is Contagious,” but I never understood why it was contagious until I experienced it myself in a different form of appreciation.

When I was in high school, I was never recognized for the things that I did unconditionally. I would stay after school and help my high school band with activities, one time I even helped make garters and mums for a fundraiser our band was doing. When my band director did not recognize me for the work I was contributing, it made me feel bad. However, I realized that if I gave compliments to other people that compliments may come to me eventually. After my realization, I started to appreciate my mother more and thank her for the things she did for my sister and me. I thanked her for the cooking and the activities she always drove us to, but I really appreciated her for being there for us through good and bad times

After I started to compliment more people for their contributions, I felt more fulfilling about my self, even if I was never appreciated, because at least I thought about others before myself. Another form of a compliment that is very noticeable is a smile passed from one person to another. From my own experience, people say smiling is contagious because if you smile to another person, you will receive one back. One day I smiled at one of my friends, Sara, and she smiled back. When I received that smile, it made me realize how much love you can feel from one person. If more people believe in lightening another person’s day up, more people can feel appreciated for the things they may not get recognized for daily.