Barbara - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I finished making my Christmas cards for this holiday season. I bought paper, stickers, markers, and envelopes. My mother told me that it is probably cheaper to buy the greeting cards, but what’s the fun in that? I’m an arts and crafts kind of girl, so making Christmas cards is more fun and more thoughtful than going to the store and buying a box of one card repeated twenty times. I believe in thoughtfulness, something we all unknowingly push aside.

As technology continues to grow, and distance among friends and family digitally gets smaller. It’s easier to send an email online or a message on myspace, and it’s easier to instant message on AIM than call on the telephone. When I was in elementary and middle school, before the internet, I’d write letters to my friends. We’d write each other pages on adorable Sanrio or Winnie-the-Pooh stationery with our glitter pens. We’d decorate the envelopes with colorful stickers and stamps. When I discovered MSN Messenger in the 9th grade, I’d chat with ten of my friends at the same time in one box for the entire night. Unfortunately, writing a letter or calling someone requires extra time. Extra time that many of us don’t have because of our busy life. As we get older, we focus more on school work and our jobs; it’s only natural. It’s easy to forget what really matters, but we shouldn’t.

It’s the holiday season, and it’s a time to get together with our family and friends. We may spend months without seeing or talking to each other because we’re states apart. However, my friends and I always take the time out to remind each other that we’re still here. I believe it’s the thought that counts, and I express that through my creativity. I enjoy arts and crafts, so making cards and handing them out makes me feel good. Especially when I get complimented on how the cards look. It makes me smile, not from arrogance, but from their smile. That smile on his or her face represents our relationship, a remembrance that we’re still good. I believe that thoughtfulness counts. It doesn’t matter if you’re not into arts and crafts because there are many ways to show your thoughtfulness. Because even a hello on the phone or text message will bring a smile to someone’s face; it’s a remembrance that you’re still there.