Jessica - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: children

Looking back into when I was younger, for example middle school and my freshman year of high school, all I can remember was trying to fit in with everyone else. I listened to what was popular, wore what was popular, and basically did everything I could to try to be cool. I never really though about what I was doing, I just believed it to be the thing to do. I was scared of the idea of standing out from the crowd and having people notice that. It wasn’t until about my sophomore year of high school that I realized I was not happy with myself. When I looked in the mirror, I saw a person that was not me, and instead saw a clone of everyone else. I was not any different from any other girl in my school. For some reason, this really got to me. I got to thinking to why I would ever want to be like all the other girls in my school. Not all of them were nice-in fact, a majority of people hated most of them. What was so good about being just like everyone else? I came to realize that I was living a life that was not mine, and it was not fun. This was the day that I realized I had to do what I liked, not just what was “the popular thing to do”.

I cannot say how much being myself has changed my life. Instead of making people dislike me for being different, it actually got me more friends. People don’t like me just because I wear what is cool or listen to the trendy songs on the radio, but instead for being different and unique. I have had so many people say that they love my personality because I am not afraid of what others will think and I just do my own thing. I love that. I have made some of the greatest friends I’ll ever know, and I owe it all to just being myself. I believe in marching to the beat of your own drummer and having the time of your life doing the things you love to do the most, not what everyone else thinks you should do. Through this you will make friends that like you for who you are, not what the media tells you to be.