Ivan - El paso, Texas
Themes: respect

I believe in mutual Respect. People in so many ways want respect. To me acknowledgment and credit given to where it belongs, is respect for me I know that for the most part in my life I have not always received it. I respect others in many ways from arriving to class, paying attention, doing my work.

The past few years I have created works of art that were to be copied and made into posters to be advertised on a large scale. The posters were made and were also sent all around the city, except I was never mentioned. I really was upset over this, I felt very upset, and because that was the whole reason I made the paintings to help others. Eventually the original work of Art would be auctioned off to the highest bidder, and again the painting was described as a collaboration between many artists, when in fact I was the only one who had worked on it the entire summer alone.

At school for two entire years I made large murals all alone, everyone knew that I had made them they saw me painting all the time, Yet again the respect that I wanted was not given, At my own graduation they gave credit to someone else, Instead of enjoying the ceremony I was really angry over this because I thought that in school where all hard work is praised, I would be recognized for my contribution to the school.

Every Saturday I am still making works of art still building a portfolio. I have a goal to either finish a degree in New York, or move over there after completing school. I feel that surviving New York on my own and making a name for myself without any family or friends is a pretty respectable act.

As I said Before Respect is not one sided I am always respectful in Class I arrive a few minutes early and sit in the very front row in almost every class when allowed the chance this has paid off, I have learned more material and understood it better than before. Not only that, the professor also noticed how I was always on time and not speaking during his lectures. Having a very strict attendance policy, I was once running late for class and I knew that I would be counted absent, yet when I arrived attendance was already taken he removed my absence and continued on to his lecture. I knew this was due to the fact that I have been on time and am always in class.

I am always going to be persistent on getting my credit and being acknowledge for all my hard work, even though I have not always received it, until recently I had made a painting for another non profit and this time my name was carried on the posters, even though the font was very small, if someone wanted to know who had made it they would have know.