Yvette - El Paso, Texas

I could not help but notice her. She had light blonde tan colored hair with white spots on the top of her nose and the top of her small head. She had curly haired ears and a white as pure snow stomach. She was sitting in the middle of the room, while all her brothers and sisters were biting my shoe laces and fighting with each other, with her big brown droopy eyes and I knew she was the one. I believe in unconditional puppy love.

“I want her!” I said as I held my cute cocker spaniel puppy in my hands. I was ten years old when I wanted and I got my first puppy. Unconditional puppy love is a never ending love a dog has for his owner. I named her Candy and she has showed me deep and true unconditional love.

A year after I got Candy I was having a very bad day and all I wanted was someone to make me feel better or make me laugh. I was crying on my bed frustrated and angry when all of a sudden I heard screeching on my window. I opened my blinds slightly and I saw Candy jumping up and crying at my window. I thought it was the most extraordinary thing when she heard me crying and came to my window as if she knew what I was going through. I went outside to see what was wrong with her and when I sat on the cement she came to me, sat right next to me and licked my cheek. This is when I knew she had unconditional love towards me.

Even if I would give Candy a bath, a haircut or take her to get her vaccines, as much as she may not like it, she would still love me and she wouldn’t get mad at me. “He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” author unknown. Candy’s unconditional love has taught me what devotion is and what loving someone is really about. Candy, like many other dogs, are a role model to people of what being alive is all about.

Dogs do not judge people as people do to others. They don’t see materialistic objects all they see are emotions and affection. Candy doesn’t care what kind of toy I buy her; it’s about me playing with her. Candy does not care if I am the richest or the poorest person. I am her friend and her playmate and she loves me just for that reason.

Candy is my friend who brings me love, care and loyalty. I know she will be there for me no matter what. I believe in unconditional puppy love, no one can say they have experienced true love if it wasn’t puppy love.