Isa - Centennial, Colorado

As a little girl, I would spend hours on end playing out my own little world with my extensive collection of plastic animals. I would always, no matter what, form them into families. No piece was ever alone. Now they weren’t your standard father, mother, two kids family. They were all sorts, some didn’t have dads, some had members from different species. Then I joined all of those families into a community. It wasn’t your perfect everyone always gets along society. There were disagreements on the family and community level. Conflicts have always been interesting for me but even though sometimes everything wouldn’t always go smoothly the families would always still be there. Today I still carry that ideal/obsession of family.

I understand families can function and be defined in many different ways. To me, family doesn’t necessarily have to be blood relatives. To me, family are those people who have inseparably influenced and morphed into your life. The people who will always be there, that unconditionally love you. The ones that you love and hate but you can’t imagine your life without. And I’ve been blessed to have a pretty numerous family especially considering some people don’t get even one.

Family is a key component of my life and there for an essential part of me. It creates this safety net that allows me to grow and explore and be whatever I want to be. I don’t have to worry about falling because when I do; I know I have someone to pick me up when I fall.

Humans have always seemed to me like instinctually social creatures. They have this need to feel accepted and loved, to belong somewhere. That’s what family satisfies. Now imagine how great it would be if this idea of family was taken on to the community level, then the world level, especially the aspect of acceptance. I have very strong opinions which means I disagree with a lot of people but I can’t say that I’m right or that they’re wrong. Right and wrong are relative terms depending on perspective. I believe that there is no right or wrong way to think, just a different way. I believe that if people could learn to accept and embrace difference the world would be a lot better place. I believe in supporting the human race in their struggles. To me it’s the relationships and the connections you make that matter most, something that took awhile to realize. Certificates, trophies, those kinds of achievements are just the icing on the cake. The best part, the cake, are those connections, those day-to-day interactions, that acceptance and support, those families I create. This is what I believe.