Jackson - Littleton, Colorado

I believe that the only way America will win the war on terror is to end the war at home, the war between conservatives and liberals. How can we be expected to defeat such an unconventional, hateful, dangerous enemy, when we are fighting each other at every political turn on our own soil? From despicable political campaign ads, to irate talk show hosts, there is a growing chasm between the two sides that will prove hazardous to our country if it is not checked.

I try to look at issues from both sides. I listen to the talking heads from each party. I have read books by both Ann Coulter and Al Franken. I have seen Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 911, watched the O’ Reilly Factor, and listened to Rush Limbaugh’s radio show. And while all of these people know what’s wrong with the other side, and do a terrific job insulting each other, the only thing they accomplish is further dividing our country. Recently, I heard Rush Limbaugh boldly state that “all liberals hate America”. This remark was not made at the dinner table, but on a station that broadcasts to millions of listeners nationwide. This is not only a ludicrous statement, but one that is too easily ingrained in the mind of the American public. This type of political propaganda will only create conflict, not resolve it.

I will admit that I am biased towards the left, but that does not stop me from trying to see things from the conservatives’ point of view. This technique allows for a better overall understanding of the issues, and a greater chance for the two sides to compromise instead of butting heads.

I believe that America needs to find common ground on one issue, such as the oil problem in the Middle East. If all Americans can agree to limit their puchases of the gasoline that funds the terrorists, it will create one small but critical step in unifying our country. One step could turn into two, then three, until we are joined in a combined effort to defeat those that want to destroy our country.

The reason America needs to give up this type of argumentation is because it weakens our country. We are wasting time, money and effort arguing. As Abraham Lincoln once said “A house divided against itself will not stand”. He was right. A country united is always stronger than a country divided. If America has any chance of defeating the terrorists, we must show that we are unified in our efforts.