Karla - El Paso, Texas

A Smile Can Brighten “Anyone’s” Day…

I believe in the power of a smile and the impacts it can have. As a volunteer of a community hospital, my obligations were to assist patients in whatever I was able to do or in what I was asked to do. I was not obligated what so ever, to talk or interact with patients. One day, I was doing my daily routine in the new unit I was assigned to and noticed this closed door when all the others were wide open. When I asked the nurse why this particular door was closed, she told me that having the door closed was the patients request. The room belonged to a patient that was in his last days and seemed rather grumpy.

To my curiosity, I decided to bring to him some water, when i came in, I smiled at him. As soon as I smiled, he covered his face with his blanket. After that, I felt a connection with the patient, although, I was sure he didn’t feel the same. Every day after that, I would go to the hospital, I bring him water and smiled at him. Everytime, he would always cover his face as if he wanted to be left alone. This went on for about two months but I still hadn’t gotten a response back from him, not even a smile.

One day, I told myself I would talk to him. When I finally got to it, his door was opened. I went to get a bucket to get him some water but when I walked in the room, his bed was nicely done and no one was in there. I could feel my heart breaking as I ran to the nurse. I aske dher about the man, she looked at me and sadly said, “He passed aways this morning, he said he loved your smile. That every time you would smile at him, it brightened his day and made him blush. That was the reason why he would cover his face.”

This is why I believe a smile can brighten “anyone’s” day regardless if your elderly, young, different ethnicity or class. Even when I’m sad I smile, I give that little smirk that I know will brighten someone’s day. I see it as in paying it forward. There is a quote I like that says, “Smile everyday because you never know when someone will fall in love with your smile.” I believe its true, a smile is the very first impression you give a human.

That man made me realize the cheapest but most wonderful gift I could ever give and receive back, a smile. Since then I have injected others with my happiness and I know I make a difference in at least one person a day.