Drew - Whitefish, Montana
Themes: work

Everyone procrastinates sometime in his or her life. As a young child, a person learns that diligence and hard work pay off. I have always found that when I really work hard on something, it helps in the end. In school anyone can do a homework assignment the day before it’s due, but I think it is better to tackle long-term goals a little bit at a time, over a longer period. Teachers might provide some kind of incentive for turning in assignments earlier if the assignments are well done. I believe sticking to the tasks at hand when I can and not when I must, will pay off in the long run, thus resulting in a deeper understanding.

I have played piano since I was four years old. My parents and piano teacher taught me to keep working and never give up no matter how difficult practicing gets. It is always hard to practice, but I know that every moment I spend at the keyboard improves my skill. I do not think I will ever become a professional musician, but piano has helped me in other ways. As an incoming freshman, I decided to sing in my school’s choir. Part of the grade in choir is based on note reading. With ten years of piano backing me up, I had no problem reading the notes, and my years of playing helped me find the pitches of the songs we sang. Just knowing that much about how music works has expanded my knowledge of music. If I had not taken piano for so many years, I would not have this knowledge. I would also never be able to appreciate and enjoy music as much as I do.

I have worked hard and succeeded in soccer, too. When I was a freshman, I tried out for spring soccer. I knew that I was not as strong a player as the others, but I hoped I would be good enough. After tryouts I got a call from my coach who said I did not make the team. Even though I was disappointed, my enthusiasm to play soccer did not diminish. I decided to train during the spring season and maybe during my sophomore year I would make the team. As it turned out, I got lucky because the coach called back saying that some people dropped out, and I could join the team if I still wanted. I joined and went to our first practice. Everyone on the team still out-played me, but I worked hard that whole season. In the end I improved more than anyone else. Everyone noticed and said I was a valuable member of the team.

My diligent attitude helps me succeed in other aspects of my life as well. I often get compliments when I am working at my job. My boss knows that I take care and do my best in everything I do. When he tells me to do something, he does not always come and supervise me, because he knows that I will really focus on the task at hand. He sees what I have done in the end and always says, “Good job.” I know that my boss is not paying me to do things really fast and with no real quality, so I approach all my projects with a steady pace and put lots of thought and effort into it.

Diligence is very important to me and I try to include it in everything I do. I know I will be a better person if I stick to my goals. I believe if more people in the world did this, they would enjoy tremendous success. If people never gave up on what they wanted, then they would find it easier to achieve their dreams.