Holly - Whitefish, Montana
Themes: question

Sightlessly, with watering eyes, I gaze at the blurry white abyss – an open and empty word processor. The computer’s humming numbs my mind into a torpid state of self-pity. I recall a cold and fluorescent lit classroom where my English teacher, smiling as though being a generous aunt with an expensive gift, assigns another tedious essay. “Just write about what you believe,” she says. Groans and mutinous mutterings resonate while voices murmur in my ear, how easy it would be able to select a topic. How I, the one who always questions, always states opinions, and always defends her stance no matter how trivial the matter, will effortlessly select an essay topic.

Huddling in a blanket in my cold basement at my computer, I can think of numerous things I believe in: America, friendship, Christ, or even running. My passion for these subjects is undeniable, but when expected to explain why I believe what I do; I find myself at a loss for words. However, I can articulate why I do not support other stances on the same issue.

In order to know what I believe I need to know what I do not believe. It has always been my firm opinion that playing devil’s advocate only helps you solidify your stance on a matter. Without hearing both sides of the situation one has no capability to create a well formulated opinion; which is essential to being a beneficial part of society.

I believe in controversy. Is abortion moral? Who will win the super bowl? Who was the worst president? Which is better: crunchy or smooth peanut butter? Without controversy nothing would be subjective; without diversity people conform to that ‘perfect’ human being that is created by media through universal close-mindedness. Progress, the expectation of each citizen in this nation, thrives on change.

Healthy and respectful debates should be encouraged. Solutions, not accusations should be brought to the table. From there they should be considered, molded, reconsidered, negotiated, thrown away, and re-evaluated. Conclusions should be made through the art of compromise.

This I believe.