Amanda - Newport News, Virginia

I Believe in the Truth

I lie. Do you lie? Does your mother lie? How about your great grandmother, does she lie? Everybody lies, right? It’s a global language, consisting of many words that can never be proven. Who needs proof, when a lie could sound so much better? Unfortunately, I believe in the truth.

The truth is less complicated; it’s straightforward, and it’s supported. Lying is hard work. Many steps contribute to the process of a successful lie. First you must come up with a lie that will make sense, and be believable to others. Then when it comes down to that nerve racking second when you have to tell the lie, you must try not to produce that smirk that many people develop in the process of telling a lie. If that smirk does come out, then the real hard work begins, because you have to then develop a second lie as to why you were smiling during the so called truth. If you are able to perform this process correctly then you are basically a good liar, and can add dishonest to your list of personality traits. Although there is always the chance of that lie being revealed, only the great liars can master the cover up process of a revealed lie. The concept of lying is confusing, and should just be avoided at all costs.

I realized the simplicity of telling the truth in my early teenage years. Those years I choose to lie because I desired pity from others, and some self confidence. No specific experience dramatically made me believe this concept of truth; I just began to realize it was common sense.

Many consider the truth to be a hard issue to except, and that tends to be the reason for developing a lie. Once truth is accepted it can sometimes be associated with unwanted emotion. I believe in just accepting the truth because it cannot be changed. I see no reason in making a fantasy truth to avoid emotion. Hiding from the truth by developing a lie only gets you somewhere for a short period of time. What happens when that time runs up? Do you just create another hiding spot, or do you fess up to the truth?

Lying seems so perfect; it lets you run away from your problem, and problems with others. You are even able to make yourself feel better by lying to yourself, but the truth is real. I believe in the truth.