Russell - Baltimore, Maryland

This I Believe: Salvation

I believe that Jesus Christ was God in the form of man, that His death provided payment for the sins of the human race, and that, by acceptance of this belief, one can truly be forgiven for sin and enter into Heaven after death. I base my beliefs on the conditions that God is real, that He created and owns the universe and its inhabitants, that the Bible is God’s perfect word, that Heaven is a sinless paradise, that all people have sinned, that death is a result of sin, and that the only way to enter into Heaven is to be forgiven for all sin one may have committed in life. I believe in salvation.

According to the Bible, God, from His heavenly throne in sinless paradise, created man to fill His only need—the need to be loved. Unlike the angels, man would not directly serve his Maker in Heaven; he would, however, befriend Him, fellowshipping with Him on Earth instead. True friendship cannot be demanded, a truth God must have known because He instilled in the human race the ability to choose to love Him. As recorded in the book of Genesis, Adam and Eve, the first man and woman, exercised this God-given freewill to disobey the one request God had made, that they not eat the fruit of a specific tree in the Garden of Eden. By this act, sin entered into the world. Death would plague the human race because imperfect creatures cannot be eternal. Betrayed, rejected, and hurt, God realized that His friends could never enter into Heaven bearing the weight of sin. God’s justice demanded payment, and God’s grace delivered it. Only God could forgive the sin of mankind, yet only God could pay the price. He became man, dwelt in a sin-cursed world, and endured temptation to sin yet did not sin. God incarnate was Jesus Christ who was murdered by the very creatures from whom He desired love. By His crucifixion, death, burial, and resurrection, God made a way for man to be forgiven for his sins and to enter into Heaven after death. Man was doomed to pay for his own sins for eternity in a place called Hell, but man’s sin debt was paid in full by the shedding of Christ’s perfect blood. I believe that one can enter into Heaven by the acceptance of God’s plan of salvation.

When I accepted God’s forgiveness and salvation, I became a child of God, assured a home in Heaven when I die. This belief does not make me a cultish fanatic but rather a confident Christian able to endure the many trials that lie ahead of me in this sin-cursed world. I cannot prove my beliefs apart from the Bible and my own conscience; however, I can accept by faith what I feel to be true, and this faith encourages me throughout every aspect of my life. If I should die tomorrow with my faith and never awake, I would have lost nothing. I would have lived my life morally and decently without regret. By following the Bible’s teachings, I would have provided for my family, helped others, promoted good citizenship, abstained from vices, and taught others to have the peace of the Christian life. However, if I were to reject God’s plan and die unprepared, I would have to face a just God without payment for my sin. I would have lost everything. The belief that God would forgive my sins and allow me to enter into His Heaven is my reason for living. My joy—my peace—my hope are undeniably attributes of my belief in God’s salvation plan. I believe in Christian living; I believe in Heaven; I believe in the Bible; but greatest of all, I believe in salvation!