Margarita - 79904, Texas

This I Believe….

I believe in rest. I believe that there is nothing better than a great night sleep. I believe that I am entitled to a little bit of both.

Fortunately, rest and sleep are two words that I’m very familiar with; and are two things that I will never give up. I believe in rest because of my daily life.

My husband Gabriel and I are raising a two-year old baby boy. And let me tell you that he is a lot of work! Every morning I wake up early to cook breakfast for my husband and son. After breakfast, I get Gabriel ready to drop him off at my mothers, and then get myself ready for work and school. After a long day of working and studying, I go home to cook dinner and get my son ready for bed. This is my daily routine. On the weekends I do the motherly deeds which include washing, cleaning, ironing, and cooking once again.

Despite the fact I am a mother and wife, I’m also a full-time student at the University of Texas at El Paso, as well as a part-time employee at a pawn shop. My job often requires me to work excessive hours and school will sometimes attack me with heavy loads of homework.

Over the years I have learned how to manage my time wisely and do the best that I can do. Sometimes though, I become frustrated and tired. There are always many things to be done and there is only so much that I can do.

One night my mother came over to help me with my son so that I could study for midterms. My son eventually fell asleep and mom stayed over late to make sure I didn’t need anything else. Before I knew it, it was after 2:00 a.m. and I was no where near finished. I decided to take a break from school work and I got up to check if my mother was gone. She was sitting on the couch, with the TV on, sleeping her life away. I realized then how tired she was. She too was tired of doing all of the things that mothers do.

As I turned off the TV, I accidentally woke her and when she opened her eyes she reached out her arms at me and said, “Come and sleep with me. You and I need some rest.” I remember looking straight into my mother’s eyes and smiling at her. Then I cuddled against her warm, cozy arms on the couch and there we stayed until morning.

This experience with my mother made me realize how important it is for me to make the time to rest. Now, I like to set things aside for a moment and do what I do best and what my mother once told me: rest. In order for me to complete the difficult tasks of being a mother, wife, daughter, employee, and student I must believe in rest and sleep.