Jazmine - Austin, Texas

There is a story that I have heard many of times throughout my life. The story is about a set of twins that grew up together with the same talents and abilities. They grew up with the same morals and were taught by the same family. These twins were both athletic and smart but, later in life they took two totally different roads. One went to college, became a lawyer, and had a nice family, a beautiful house, and plenty of money. He lived very comfortably while his brother who had the same potential became a criminal after high school, began selling and using drugs, and ended up in jail for the rest of his life. The reason I chose to tell you this story is because this story portrays my feelings and beliefs about ability and ambition. What I am trying to say is that having the potential or the ability to do something is nothing if you do not have the ambition to pursue it.

Many people do not realize exactly how much ambition and ability relate. Ability is defined as the quality of being able, in Webster’s dictionary. For a while that is all I believed it meant; just being able. So then, I thought that everyone had ability because everyone is able in their own mind. Later, I realized that there is more to having ability than just being able. As a senior in high school I learned a quote “Ability without ambition is like a car without a motor.” This quote is what inspired me to look more into ability and ambition and how they connect.

Ambition is defined as “an eager desire for success or power.” I think that everyone had it but they must find it in themselves. Ambition is in everyone just as ability is. If a person does not connect the two then they may be having a hard time accomplishing things.

The quote “ability without ambition is like a car without a motor” is a perfect comparison. Because a car can not function or go anywhere with out a motor just as a person can not do anything with their ability without ambition. In essence, I am saying that it is not possible for one to work without the other. My core belief is that to have ability you must have the push of ambition for it to work properly.