Lindsay - Wilmette, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

Lindsay Schaffner

489 words

The Little Things

You only live once right? According to all the advice I’ve received over the years, I should live life to the fullest and pursue every opportunity that comes my way. I agree that life is full of chances and I think that it will be whatever you make it. I also think that on the way to achieving our goals however, we sometimes overlook the little things; what’s right in front of us. I believe the little things are what make life worth living.

So you’re probably wondering what sort of little things I’m referring to. Well I’m talking about the simple everyday things in life which we take for granted. For example once I got to college, I realized it might be awhile until I could enjoy some of life’s little pleasures again. I would have to wait until I could again, come home and follow my nose to the sweet and chocolately aroma of my mom’s homemade brownies fresh out of the oven. You know what I’m talking about. I mean how great do you feel putting on a toasty sweatshirt right out of the dryer? Or unexpectedly finding a $20 in the back pocket of the jeans you wore last week? What about getting a giant bear hug? Or cuddling up in a warm blanket while drinking hot chocolate on a cold winter’s night? Receiving a warm and friendly smile from a stranger? Or even hearing that one song that reminds you of that special someone?

I could probably name a million little things in life that make me happy. I discovered the importance of little things in high school, when I went through some bad times with friends here and there. I quickly learned that being angry and upset over trivial things would get me nowhere. Eventually, I found my happiest little pleasure in life: the Disney version of Peter Pan. It may sound silly, but you’d be surprised at how happy a simple cartoon can make you. It always reminded me of my childhood which brought good memories and pushed out the bad ones I might have had from that day. Once when I was little, I made my parents listen to the cassette tape version of the story the entire ride home from my grandparents’ house. This, by the way, was a six hour car ride from Traverse City, Michigan. I always knew that if I had a bad day at school, I could come home and be whisked away to good old neverland. I still get a little smile thinking about that funny crocodile whenever I hear a clock ticking unusually loud.

Sometimes when the big things in life weigh you down, I think it’s important to take a step back to realize and appreciate all the little things that surround us everyday. You never know when a simple smile can brighten someone else’s day.