Lindsey - Omaha, Nebraska
Themes: golden rule

The feeling of being worthless and that I did not matter was a feeling I felt everyday through my 7th and 10th grade years at school. Imagine playing in a basketball game and having fans from your own school yell hurtful things at you or playing in the State Softball Championship and having schoolmates make rude signs and shout negative chants at you. I know there is always going to be yelling at sporting events but isn’t the point to get inside the opponents head, not players from your own team? This was a common occurrence for me. I dreaded going to school everyday because I knew I could not go a day without somebody criticizing me. Every hallway I walked down I could hear the whispers and feel the eyes darting towards me. I could always feel the embarrassment building up in my cheeks. I tried to block all of it out, but I never could. The sting of their harsh words was too much to take.

People always say how words can not hurt you, but those people have never been the ones who get made fun of or put down. Words tear at your heart with a merciless pull. They stick with you no matter how hard you try to ignore them. People do not realize how bad they can ruin someone’s life with the words they say. I believe that words hurt much more than people know. Words attack the heart and the integrity of a person until there is nothing left.

The students never realized how bad their words hurt me. Their words slowly tore into my spirit and character until I was an entirely different person. I had no confidence and felt like I mattered to no one. I had no friends and sat alone on the weekends trying to think of ways to ease the pain in my heart.

I could not take any more of their harsh judgment and I finally had to transfer schools. I transferred entirely out of the school district, in order to get as far away from the ruthless students as possible. The school I transferred to was completely different. All of the students accepted me with open arms. The feeling of not having to worry about what other people are saying about you is indescribable and I would not trade that feeling for the world.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” This quote gives me chills, for a broken bone heals quicker than a grief-stricken heart. Too many times people are getting away with verbally hurting others, because nobody believes the real damage it can cause. Everyone should treat others how they want to be treated. I believe the power of words has the greatest impact on a person’s self- confidence. You can not just disregard what others say. Hurtful words stick in a person’s heart forever.