Brittany - Orrville, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem, love

Love is Opportunity

“Many an opportunity is lost because a man is out looking for four-leaf clovers.” To me this means that sometimes people cannot see what is right in front of them. The same can be said for love. Some people will find love, others will not, and some will not recognize it.

I do not really know what love is, but no one does. To me love is not lust. Love is being able to talk to someone and tell them anything. Love is trusting someone with all your heart. Love is invisible. “Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye,” said H. Jackson Brown Jr.

When I was 6, I moved from Ohio to Wisconsin. I have many friends there, but the one I remember the most is a boy name Benjamin Wallace. He was my very first “boyfriend”. I remember him giving me his pencils on the first day of third grade, I remember how he would play football at recess and I would cheer for him.

By the sixth grade we were just friends again, but we were still really close. At the beginning of sixth grade I found out I was going to move back to Ohio. I was devastated. I told my best friend and she is the only person with whom I have had contact from Wisconsin. I would often wonder why I did not tell Ben that I was moving, I thought about him all the time. I did not think he remembered me or even cared that I moved at all.

Recently, opportunity called my cell phone and on the other end of the line was Ben. We talked for hours that night. He told me that he always thought about me and how he wished I had not have moved. He had come back into my life when I did not think it was possible and when I had least expected it. I told myself that I was not going to let the opportunity to see him slip through my fingers.

Opportunity is powerful. It can change the course of a life. A person should take every good opportunity that they recognize. Opportunities come every day with every decision a person makes, but sometimes opportunities are disguised as hard work, luck, or misfortune.

Love is opportunity because it does not show up often. When I find love I will embrace it, love unconditionally, without reason, and love like I am not afraid to lose it.

Who knows how this will end with Ben and I, but if it is love I won’t miss it because I’m looking for four-leaf clovers.