Jaime - EL Paso, Texas

Simple words like how are you, how was your day, and let’s talk about it, can be very powerful when it comes to talking to someone. When a friendship, or a marriage is in trouble people like to talk, but when it comes to everyday life people don’t talk as much. When someone wants to be heard people are too busy to stop and ask how a day was, or what’s wrong, they just carry on and leave it at that. I believe in talking and listening, even though you think that you have no time you always have time even just to say, “Hey I can see that something is bothering you, can we talk later on because right now I have to do something, or just to say Hi.” Believe it or not these words can make a whole difference in someone’s life. Talking is the essential key to everything, honesty, love, friendship, trust…etc.

I remember this one time where my friend was in a depressed mood and she just wouldn’t come out of it. She wouldn’t talk to anyone, she wouldn’t eat, and she skipped her first three classes at school. When it came to lunchtime everyone kept asking her what was wrong and she just kept saying, “Nothing, Nothing is wrong.” When I heard her say that I got her by the arm and pulled her away from the group of friends that we were with. I told her to tell me what was wrong and she started to cry and told me everything that was wrong. She told me about how her mother had tried to kill herself last night and how her dad had beaten her little sister and her when he came home because he was drunk and blamed them for what had happened to their mother.

My first initial reaction was to go up to the dad and punch him in the face, but then I thought my friend needs me and no matter how much I want to go and kick some butt, I need to stay there with her. The next morning, my friend was nowhere to be found and I started to worry. I went to her house after school and she wasn’t there, but someone else was. It was her father and I asked where my friend was and he told me to mind my own business. I just stayed there and stared at him, he told me to leave or he would call the cops. I told him to go ahead, so that I can tell them everything that he did to his daughters. His eyes got all big and he told me that the cops had taken his girls away already and to just please leave. I left and the next day at school I saw my friend and she was happy as ever, she was living with her aunt and her mom was okay and getting help.

Everyday I think about what would have happened to her if I hadn’t talked with her one on one. I would have had to live with guilt if something had happened to her. This is why I make sure that everyday I keep in contact with my friends, family, my significant other, and friends that I hardly talk to because they are in college somewhere other than here. Because you never know when something like this can happen and if you have no one to talk to then it only gets worse. If my friends, family, etc… don’t answer their phones then I’ll text them or leave them a message just saying, “Hi give me a call I just wanted to see how your day was.”

I live my life everyday they way it is supposed to be with no regrets and many friends and I have all of this because I talk and listen to everyone and anyone. The best thing about talking and listening to someone is that they become a dear friend and they know that they can trust you with anything.

I believe that everyday someone needs someone to talk to and there is no one around half of the time to talk to. I wish that I could talk to everyone in the whole world and help them with their problems, but I’m only one person this is why I hope this essay will teach people that talking to someone is very important even though you have your own lives to think about, try thinking about what the other person is feeling and what you can do to help them. Even a simple “Hello how are you” is a good way to start yours and someone else’s day.