Articles of Faith

Martin - SAN FRANCISCO, California

Articles of Faith was written in the 1930s by my father, L. D. MacIntyre, when he was the American Red Cross Director of Fund Raising in St. Louis. He decided that there should be a statement of principles that could be embraced by all those associated with the Red Cross, regardless of race, color, religion, class or creed. The NPR “This I Believe” radio series reminded me of his words written more 75 years ago, far ahead of his time. The American Red Cross posted it in local chapters and handed it out to new volunteers. It was well received and even translated for use abroad to explain the underlying principles of the Red Cross. During his lifetime he brought these principles to organizations he joined, like the World Federalists, the American Ethical Society, and the Clan MacIntyre Association, which he founded.

Articles of Faith

We believe that might can never be the measure of the right nor can the end be used to justify the means.

We believe that strength was given us to succor and to shield the weak; to lighten the burden of the sick at heart; to teach all who wish to learn the simple skills with which to aid themselves and others.

We believe that all children of this earth are brothers and we shall not recognize any barriers of race, color, class or creed to set them apart one from the other.

We believe that equal opportunity must be afforded for each to share in the fruitfulness of this world and each, according to his ability, to share in its burdens.

We believe that kindness and mercy and understanding will grow – must grow – that this planet may be a place for children and their children’s children to live in peace and security.

We believe that each must have a chance to contribute what he wills to this new world, this fitter measure to his dream.

We believe that as each one of us has a share in the America we know and hope to shape, so each of us now must strive to save those simple human values which give dignity to man and to life, its meaning.

For these beliefs and to those ends we pledge our time, our efforts, and our worldly goods.