Blake - Papillion, Nebraska

One wintry night in December my friends and I decided to go sledding. I was not five and not six but the age of seventeen. There were three of my friends that decided to go that night. All four of us quickly threw on the warmest clothes we could find and hopped into my, not so big, Honda Accord. We sat there all bundled up with our sleds in hand ready to go. I started the car and we were off. When we arrived we meet some looks of disagreement by parents, but we still trudged up the hill just as we did when we were about six years old and did not take anything too serious. The memories flooded back to me of previous winters. The ones spent with my family and friends talking about nothing and not worrying about what I was going to do the next day in school. Sledding that night helped me believe not to take life so serious all the time.

Many people can get caught up in their work and never have time to unwind and have fun. I do not ever want to become someone like this so by telling myself every once in a while to bring out the kid in me I will do it. It helps me relieve the stress I can carry from work, school, or even my family. Running around my backyard for no reason or watching a funny movie just helps remind me that there is more to life than receiving good grades and acting like a professional. Its hard to remember not to be serious sometimes. It sounds funny but it truly is when you get caught up in trying to receive the highest test scores or working all the time to make some extra cash.

Since I don’t always take the serious actions all the time it helps me have more fun. My whole family goes on a vacation once a summer. Usually to somewhere that involves spending every waking moment with them along with a 24 hour car ride. The serious person inside of me would want to act like a local and blend in. But that could never happen in my family. My Dad asks question after question that will relate to nothing we are doing on the trip. He already knows the answers too if he would just take a moment to think. Then there is my Mom who will burst into tears if the whole family sits down and communicates at dinner. I decide to myself this is how they will always be and just blend into my own family and make the somewhat right decision.

I believe that not taking the professional rout in life has helped me get by. Don’t get me wrong we should act professional and contain ourselves at times. But what I guess I am trying to say is, if I want to burst into laughter I let it flow and act serious another time. I know what I believe in will help me through my life.