Sandy - virginia beach, Virginia

Once I was diagnosed with ADHD in the fourth grade, the smallest hint of hyperactivity tipped people off to tell me to take my medicine or blame my ADHD. It hurt me that people thought medicine was a cure for my behavior and that my behavior was not just who I was. The medicine helped me concentrate in school and stay on task, but my outgoing personality and non-stop energy was, and still is, me. I hope that society slows down with the pill as a cure for ADHD and starts to accept people for who they are.

Being in the corner for misbehaving in class was so boring that I had to find a way to entertain myself. If there was a clock on the wall nearby, I was going to turn it upside down. My favorite way to entertain myself and others, and pass the time if I wasn’t caught, was the deceptive making out with yourself move; move head side to side with arms wrapped around your body rubbing your back and messing with your hair. I loved that one. I never grew out of being a fun and playful girl, but my silliness led to getting in trouble and was accompanied by a lack of focus and concentration.

I decided to cut back on my usage of Ritalin/Adderral when I entered high school.

While society looks at ADHD as something that can be cured with a pill, I look at it as an advantage in life. My college GPA would not be 3.6 without my hyper-activity, procrastination and multi-tasking.

I would still be finding out who I am and what it is that I want in life if it were not for my ADHD. Whenever I have an idea of something or someone that I want to pursue, I do not second-guess my ideas, instincts, or intuition. I tend to jump the gun.

I have this constant need to have a goal to be working towards. I get bored really easily and can lose interest quite fast. When I out of nowhere decided that I would study abroad in Mexico for a week, I never knew that I would return from my trip and be planning to move back for a semester to live. And after studying abroad for a semester, I never would have guessed that I would be moving back to Mexico to live solo for an entire summer. And I thought I would be teaching in a classroom in the United States when I graduate this May, but it looks like I am headed back down to Mexico, or maybe Costa Rica or the Dominican Republic, or Puerto Rico, or who knows? I’m sure not going to try and guess.