Anjala - Portland, Oregon

I believe we are beings of light, living in light, and we must look at human events with the perspective that light provides. When I hear of people behaving badly, I remember that I am only hearing part of the story, and further, that what I am hearing is possible only because the story came to light.

The vast amount of news we receive in this information age brings actions of great virtue and great vice into our homes. I cling firmly to this thought: the more light there is, the more darkness will be revealed and this is good. The more darkness that is revealed the more light is being made manifest to reveal it.

I also believe that I have the power to affect the world with my actions, because my soul,

my body of light, is inter-connected with that of all other humans. I felt the worldwide interconnected emotions of shock and dismay caused by the deaths on 9/11 without having to have heard the news.

How could that happen? The interconnectedness of our souls is like people being light bulbs of various shapes, sizes and colors, all energized by the same soul energy. Imagine a wire strung with ornamental lights stretching off to your right from an unseen source far to your left. You can’t see the start or the end of it. A few of the bulbs may have burned out before their expected life span. But the energy still courses through the string and is available to enliven replacement bulbs. That energy is what I call fundamental light or soul energy and it is never created or destroyed.

Light is also a word that carries the meaning of being the opposite of dark. I believe that light is no better than dark, nor is dark stronger than light. They depend on each other. I know that I cannot see light without there being dark, and vice versa.

In these days – as in past eras – people need to think carefully and decide for themselves whether to believe what they read, see and hear. Ethics and ethical behavior have varied over time, but governments have lied to their people, rulers have misbehaved, judges have been corrupt and the people unwise.

Businesses have behaved in harmful ways. Sometimes the business misdeeds were revealed by the actions of their own employees who brought matters to light. Simultaneously – today and as in past eras – people have acted wisely, rulers have led well, judges have been wise and businesses have done what is best for the world.

When I receive information that troubles me I research the information

by both mundane and spiritual ways. I decide how to act based on my research and meditation. And I judge my subsequent action by whether it is for the benefit of others (who are constantly linked to me by light). If it leads to the happiness of others or the reduction of suffering, then my action is most likely a wise one. This is an ethical way to live in awareness of the light that connects us all.