Paul - El Paso, Texas

My mom has always told me, “You can be anything you want in life, as long as you are happy.” To her it didn’t matter whether I was picking up garbage, or saving lives as a doctor. Her theory was that I am going to be stuck doing it the rest of my life, so might as well enjoy it. Dealing with something that I can’t stand for the rest of my life sounds like complete misery. That is why I believe I’m doing what I love to do.

I began to utilize this belief that I gained from my mom in high school. There were two things that I absolutely loved doing: taking pictures for the school yearbook and putting on my sports casts for the school news. I began photographing my freshman year, shooting football games, band competitions, and school activities. The first time I photographed a football game, I fell in love with the atmosphere and the adrenaline rush that I got. I loved being able to get up close with something that I’ve loved since I was a child – sports. When my first picture made the front cover of the program for the next game, it was one of the greatest feelings for me.

Doing the school news didn’t even feel like I was working or in school for that matter. I felt like I was just talking to the camera about my biggest interest – sports. A sense of nerves never struck me. I thought it may have been one of two things: I felt like I was talking to myself with just the camera and a few people in the room or because I love to talk about sports in the first place, so the chance that I got to talk about it for two minutes straight, I took advantage of. I loved the feeling of seeing my finished product on the school news, and that is where I came to the conclusion that my passion is sports casting and one day I would love to do it professionally.

If I was stuck doing something the rest of my life that I don’t care for, I would be miserable going to my job everyday and I might not perform to the best of my ability. I can tell when someone doesn’t like their job, because of the vibe you get from them or the kind of personality that the present themselves with. I feel very uneasy when people look like they are miserable when working. Tiger Woods always mentions at his press conferences that he doesn’t feel like he’s at work; he says he is doing his passion – playing golf. Michael Jordan loved to play basketball; in result he performed well and has several NBA rings to prove it.

I have learned many lessons from my mom, but this one I will always remember by heart and live it day by day. I know I am going to have to work hard in order to get where I want to be. There may be a few speed bumps along the way. However, in the end it will all be worth it, and I will be enjoying life, because I will be doing what I love to do.