Alicia - Virginia Beach, Virginia

The Words of a Legend

I believe my life has been touched by a musical legend. Bob Marley has helped me see what is really important in life while awakening my inner strength. He stood against oppression while creating unity amongst diverse individuals. He bravely overcame racism, poverty, and a broken home. Today, his family carries on his legacy.

The words of the late Robert Nesta Marley provided me with hope in the face of difficulty. We were at the tail-end of our honeymoon. I was living in rhythm with the sea, moon, and the land. In the midst of a sun-soaked Jamaica afternoon my husband, Scott and I learned that the cancer inside my father-in-law was beginning to win its battle. Marley’s words followed us newlyweds to Massachusetts to aid in saying good-bye to an amazing man.

Scott’s Pop played the role of a second father to me for over half of my life. My love and admiration for him has always run deep. I had to find the strength to let him go and provide support for Scott. We shared pictures of Jamaica with Pop in the last few hours we had left with him. Marley’s words brought me comfort as Pop passed away and gave me the courage I needed to get through the following weeks and months.

“No Woman, No Cry. Good friends we have had, oh good friends we’ve lost along the way. Little darlin’ don’t shed no tears. My feet is my only carriage, so I’ve got to push on through. But while I’m gone, Everything’s gonna be alright.”

I hold onto Scott and the promise we made on our wedding day. Marley’s song, Is This Love has helped us realize how lucky we are to share in the simple joys of life and love, even during hard times.

“I wanna treat you right, I wanna love you every day and every night, We’ll be together with a roof right over our heads, We’ll share the shelter of my single bed, We’ll share the same room, Jah provide the bread”.

In his song Exodus, Marley inquires,

“Open your eyes and look within, are you satisfied with the life you’re living?” “We know where we are going, we know where we’re from”.

I carry the words of Bob Marley with me everyday. Scott and I will pass two legacies down through our children and grandchildren. One derives from Thomas Christopher Socha and the other from Robert Nesta Marley. I know I can’t make this journey on my own. I realize I must, “Give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right”.

I believe, “In this bright future, you can’t forget your past”.