Emily - Thompsons Station, Tennessee

I believe in a hug. I never really thought much of a hug. I always found them somewhat awkward and I had a hard time letting someone close to me like that. I never really gave or received hugs very often, only my parents and brother mostly. I never really knew how much you could actually ache for a hug. Until this year, I met this amazing person that changed my attitude about hugs and life in general, just by simply giving me a hug.

On top of the weeks and weeks full of stress from school and my grandfather’s death, one day one of my close friends said something to me without realizing who he was talking to and it really upset me. For the first time in my life I was actually aching for a hug. I didn’t know where to turn. So I walked down to my friend’s room, she was standing in her doorway and I all I said was her name and she instantly knew what I needed. She came over to me and embraced me. I cried the tears that had been bottled up for weeks and weeks, as she held me in her arms and told me it was going to be ok.

Let’s face it; no one leads a perfect life. We all have our ups and downs, our times of need, our laughs, our cries, our trials and our tribulations, but the one thing that I believe can get you through them all is a hug. Sometimes that embrace from a true friend can not only help you feel better but it also shows how much they love and care about you at the same time. Even when you don’t really need a hug but yet they give you one anyways, it still touches your heart and makes you realize that you are cared about.

If you think about it, a hug is a hard thing to describe but it’s the best way to show someone how you feel. It’s a tiny instant in your day when you embrace another to show them you care. It can be the best gift you could ever give someone. The comfort found in a hug is so strong that no one can ever take that away from you, this is why I believe in a hug.