Trevin - Orrville, Ohio

Winston Churchill once said, “Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” To me, this quote is more than just something that a famous prime minister said in the past. It is a life lesson of sorts. I know that if I truly want to succeed, that I can never give up what I want and dream of becoming.

I am currently a junior in high school and for the past two years, I ran for student council, and both times, I have not made it. I have more than just a little interest in government and politics. I would probably call it obsessed. I am fascinated by the fact that working in politics and being an elected official means that I have a chance to help people. Also, I love the fact that people would support me, and would need my help.

I think that the people should have competent leaders when they need them. I think that a prime example of this is the transition from President Hoover to President Roosevelt. Many Americans blamed Hoover for the Depression mostly because he did little to correct the problem. Hoover became the Depression’s scapegoat and was ultimately defeated in the next election. His successor brought to the office an air of confidence and knowing. Roosevelt created what was called a ‘brain trust’ that consisted of scientists and thinkers who could help solve the issues.

The reason why Roosevelt was so widely popular was because he tried new things, and got things done. He made himself out to be a friend of the people and welcomed the press to ask questions. That is how I want to be. I want to be liked for getting things done. I want to be the person that everyone can count on in a crisis, and believe in to make things better for everyone. Roosevelt is a great person to look up to as a political leader and as a great president. He made people believe and have hope when they really didn’t believe in anything anymore.

The thing is though, in high school, students don’t really care about any of that stuff. They care about who can decorate a dance the best, or where the next big party is going to be. They don’t care about who is most capable or wants it the most. But it doesn’t matter to me, because I will keep trying. That is success. Never giving up and never losing enthusiasm when something doesn’t go my way. Who knows what the future holds though? For all I know, I could become the next Franklin Roosevelt or Winston Churchill.