Sidney - Virginig Beach, Virginia

I believe a smile goes a long way. No matter how big or little, I believe it can brighten a person’s whole day. Walking down the dimly lit, loud hallways of a high school at seven o’clock in the morning can be very depressing. All I can think about is getting into my classroom and getting away from the clutter of teenagers in the hall. The noise level is that of a New York Yankees game. Dodging teenagers left and right, I begin to hyperventilate. Until, out of the blue pops a short, bald guy grinning and waving. He has a round face with rosy cheeks that kind of remind me of Santa Clause. As I walk past, I am thinking to my self, what is wrong with this man, and what does he have that makes him so excited this early in the morning? I realize it doesn’t matter what makes him excited, it’s the fact that he has put a smile on my tired, droopy face that I carry with me the rest of the day.

I believe a smile goes a long way because even when it feels like the whole world has fallen on my shoulders, that one smile lets me know everything will be okay. When I see my boyfriend smile at me, I feel like I can face the world. His smile is so uplifting, even when I am at my all time low. I feel, because of this one smile, that he is telling me that he believes in me and that I can accomplish anything. I immediately change my mood and I begin to realize that he is right; I can accomplish anything.

I believe a smile goes a long way when I am walking around campus and smile at a stranger in passing. I get the feeling that I have brightened that person’s day just by that one simple gesture. As we all grew up learning, it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile. How hard is it to grin at a stranger? When they smile back, it is the greatest feeling, knowing that I helped to encourage another person to keep their head up. I believe a smile can go a long way.