federico - Virginia Beach, Virginia

life is too short

I believe in having fun. Life is too short to be having a bad time. My life, for the most part, has been pretty fun. It was my decision to try and have a fun life.

My mother would always complain and invite drama into her life but that didn’t appeal to me. She is from the “Old Country”(Italy) and fun wasn’t easily accessible for her. Even after she moved to the United States, she had difficulty having fun. As she gets older she is learning to have of fun through her Italian club.

Conversely, I was having fun right off the bat. Teaching myself how to ride my sister’s ten speed bike at age four and a half. Falling wasn’t much fun, but for me it was a small price to pay for the rush of riding faster than I could run. Later it was skateboarding and then for a brief while snowboarding, until a knee injury, but rehab was a blast.

Now I am a father of two wonderful boys, who have a lot of fun. We have a tree fort and a half pipe in my backyard. The half pipe is for me as well, and I spend as much fun time with them as possible.

I believe in living in the moment because I fear that one day I won’t experience fun in the same way I do today. Life can be stressful that’s why I feel it’s imperative to enjoy every moment I have. My children will be grown sooner than I can imagine. I want them to be able to say that they know their dad, and he is fun.