Beatrice - Portland, Oregon
Themes: children

This I Believe.

“I Believe In My Mothers Footsteps.”

When one watches TV, reads the news paper, over the radio and this days other forms of communication like the internet, you come across all kinds of information. Information like the plight of children in the third world. Lately there had been a lot of information about child labor, hunger and abuse of children.

This reminds me of my own childhood and how lucky life had been for me as a child, especially for a girl.

I grew up in West Africa in a suburb of Accra, La in a very lovely and warm family. After a certain time in the history of Ghana, education was only available to privilege few.

My mother’s and father’s generation suffered the most. Most girls were not educated, my mother was educated and of cause so was my father. He is one of the best and renowned accountants to work for the country of Ghana and I think one point also an editor for the United Nations. My mother chose a different line of work, she became a nurse. Originally I wanted to involve with the banking industry, bank teller, secretary and may be a bank manager someday.

My mother had wanted me to be a nurse. I became a resisted nurse and went on to become a Ghanaian midwife. I followed my mother’s footsteps to the United States and continued to be a nurse working in labor and delivery department. My goal in life is to help as much as I can compare to the rest of the children who grew up in my generation. In the part of the world where I grew up, I had been quiet lucky, also to have had the opportunity to follow up in my mother’s footsteps. This I believe.