Brett - Centennial, Colorado

Friends: everyone has them whether they know it or not, there is someone that is there for them and they are always supported. For most people, friends are just people that will do, say, sometimes think the same thing as they do. For me, friends are not only this, they are also my support system. They help me get through the toughest times in my life and without them I don’t even want to know where I would be. I believe that true friends are the ones that are able to put me in a good mood no matter what is happening in my life.

In the summer of 2005, I went to Buena Vista for a weeklong retreat with my church’s youth group. Over the summer, my Grandma had slowly been forgetting things due to a disease she had called Alzheimer’s disease. Eventually, she forgot my name, my mother’s (her only daughter’s) name, and generally how to speak. It was hard for me to go see her because I wasn’t even able to carry on a normal conversation with her any more. We knew that it wouldn’t be long before she would die from the disease so on the day before I left for my camp, I went and saw her to say goodbye. Little did I know this would be my last goodbye that I would ever give her.

While I was at my retreat, I received word that she had passed away and it really put my spirits down. I was having so much fun at the camp with many of my closest friends and then I was as blue as I could have been. My friends, seeing this, came over to me during our free time and we just talked for almost three hours straight about how I was feeling. By the end of the conversation, it was almost time for us to go eat dinner and I was in a much better mood. The conversation had changed my view of her death. Instead of looking at it as if I would never see her again, I saw it as if all of the times I had seen her in her life were far superior to any that I could have hoped for. My friends from that week were and still are some of my best friends to this day and the fact that they could change the worst of circumstances into something good and memorable is truly remarkable.

Friends are the people that believe in one another and support one another no matter the situation. Friends are the ones that believe that nothing is impossible when they are together. I believe that the power of friendship is one that is more powerful than any other. I believe that true friends are able to not only change one moment, but also change someone’s life.