William - Maysville, Georgia

Coincidence

I believe there is no such thing as coincidence. It was Three Years ago that I learned this fact-first hand.

I attend a small private school, and at the end of every school year, the high school and middle school classes go to a camp in Alabama. For the first few days everything went fine, everyone was having fun and there were no accidents. All of this changed on the third day of camp. My friends and I were all playing on the waterslide, having the time of our lives. We would go down the slide, and as soon as we hit the bottom we would run back to get in line again. It finally came to my turn, and I decided to run and jump into the slide, which was a big mistake. I caught my foot on a piece of metal that had been put into the slide to make the ride to the bottom smoother. Thankfully, I grabbed the top of the slide before I went all the way down into the dirty lake water, because I wanted to make sure I was not injured. I pulled myself out and examined my foot. When I looked, I was shocked to see that I had cut my foot open on the metal in the slide. I didn’t expect to be hurt at all because I felt almost no pain. Later, I attributed the lack of pain to the fact that I had probably cut all the nerves in my foot along with the tendon that grants control over one of my toes.

When I discovered that I was hurt this badly I called my principal, who thought I was playing a joke on him until he actually saw the cut, and he helped me climb down off of the slide. He sat me on a swing and told me to wait. The teachers were going to have to load up the bus and take me to the hospital on it. Loading the bus would have taken a long time, and I was just going to have to sit there and try to keep pressure on my foot until my principal was ready. Just then a car came pulling up; it was the man who owned the camp. He offered to give me a ride to the hospital in his car because it would take a lot less time than trying to load the bus and take me to the hospital. So, I rode with him to the hospital and got my foot stitched up.

This man wasn’t due at the camp for another day, so I asked him later why he had decided to come. He answered that “I was out busy with my daily routine when I felt like I should pay y’all a visit.” You may say that this incident was just a coincidence, but I’ve never been that lucky. I believe it was something else.