Jordan - Papillion, Nebraska

A Smile Is Worth 1000 Words

Everyone says that a smile is worth a thousand words, I believe in this whole-heartedly. I feel that whenever you smile or laugh about something whether it is dumb or not even if you make one person smile you have done some good in this world. I have always believed in this, but really started believing after I over came my moms’ illness. When I was in 2nd grade my mom was diagnosed with liver cancer and was placed on the transplant waiting list for a new one. During this time there wasn’t a whole lot of good going on. My dad was always down in the dumps and grumpy, and my mom rarely felt like her self because of all the chemotherapy she was on. The only thing I could do when I was at school to stay upbeat and happy like a normal elementary student was to laugh and have a good time.

I have a unique laugh and people make fun of me all the time because of it. I can take the beef I get from that because I know when I am laughing and having a good time people can hear it and that is contagious so more people start to laugh and there is nothing more fun than to hear a room full of people laughing and having a good time because no matter what is going on in your life for that short time you can forget about it and just laugh.

Many of you probably haven’t heard the Chely Wright song “I Already Do” because it is country and not as popular as a lot of other types of music but when I think of smiling I always think of this song. Overall that song is your typical country love song, when a man asks a woman if she loves him, and she could not believe that he didn’t know. She is so hurt by him not knowing that she loved him so she says, “laugh, I just have to laugh, I already thought you knew.” When ever I am having a bad day all I try to do is smile, and eventually the smile turns into a laugh, and then the laugh turns into a full on laughing attack, which always makes you feel great, you know it’s a really good laugh when your done and feel like you did a hundred sit-ups. Seeing is believing and when you see someone laughing it is impossible not to smile along and believe that a smile is worth a thousand words.