Davina - Chesapeake, Virginia

The Different Faces of Inspiration

I recently downloaded the song “Find Yourself” by Brad Paisley, onto my IPOD so that whenever I feel unsure of myself, or pressured to be someone that I’m not, I can listen to it. This song is my reminder that it’s okay to be different and not fit in, just as long as I am happy with who I am. I now believe, because of this inspiring song, that there is nothing better in life than having a sense of self worth, believing in yourself, and knowing that just being who you are is enough.

As I listened to the chorus I found that it summarized my life perfectly. The chorus states: “When you go through life so sure of where you’re heading and you wind up lost and it’s the best thing that could have happened; Cause sometimes when you lose your way it’s really just as well; Because you find yourself; that’s when you find yourself.” As I grew up, I set goals for myself and didn’t let anyone or anything stand in my way. It made me different, and I hated it. After a while, I found other goal-oriented, people, like me, but I still wasn’t happy. I wanted to be “normal” more than anything else. As time passed, the fact that I wasn’t “normal,” never changed. I tried, to no avail, to be one of them by going to parties and drinking but in the process of trying to fit in; I ended up losing what mattered most, me. I started wearing so many different faces and portraying so many different personalities, that I’d forgotten which one was really mine. I was lost. So in an effort to find myself once again, I disassociated from all of my “friends” and simply clung to my family, my real friends, who had stood by me all along; they knew “me” even when I didn’t know myself. I am now 22 years old. I don’t drink, do drugs, smoke, or party and I can proudly say that I, as my parents constantly remind me, “have my head on straight.”

With the help of songs like “Find Yourself,” I find strength to turn my back on the world, and live for what’s really important, me. Now, there is nothing I want more in life than to love myself for who I am and in turn be loved and accepted, as myself, by others. To quote the “Good Book,” “Anger endureth but a moment… weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” I know that overcoming hardships will make me a stronger, more confident individual I feel that as long as I’m true to myself I am where I belong.