Amber - Papillion, Nebraska
Themes: setbacks

Painful Words

Everyone is a work in progress, some with a long way to go and some with not so far to go. Everyone has a different path to follow to reach their full potential, and a different work to be completed. My work in progress is learning to think before I speak or act. I seem to say a lot of stupid and hurtful things without thinking about the consequences.

I can remember a million times when I have said something that made absolutely no sense. For example, I was sitting at the lunch table one day and all of us were talking about how we could make a show choir reality TV show. One person said that Callie would be the one all over Mitch. I thought it was funny, so I decided to add my own couple match-up. I blurted that Charissa would be the one all over Jake. Almost everyone heard me and the table went silent. Everyone was looking at me like I was stupid and that my idea was just ridiculous. I’m sure they were thinking that it was bad because Charissa has a boyfriend, but she talks about Jake all the time and how hot he is so I thought it worked. I felt horrible and I’m sure I was turning red. I was embarrassed the rest of the day, so I tried to avoid those people. It was bad but still not the worst ever.

Even more horrible than sounding stupid is hurting the people close to me. About a week ago my friends and I were coming home from the football game and talking about our relationships with our parents. We had all established that I pretty much had the best relationship of the three of us when I had to go and make it worse. I just had to add that I had a better relationship with my mom because my mom actually lets me do things. The car was silent for about the longest thirty seconds of my life. My friend didn’t say anything at the time, but she text me later telling me that she was really offended by that comment. She does have a really good relationship with her mom and the fact that her mom doesn’t let her do very much is ok to her. I totally demeaned her mom and her relationship with her mom. I felt horrible. Since I didn’t see her all weekend and didn’t talk to her at all, I was worried the whole time we were apart how she would act to me on Monday. I was more stressed out than I needed to be.

In both of these cases if I would have just used my little brain that God gave me than I would have been in a lot easier of a situation. I know that the people from my lunch table will forget we even had that conversation, but my friend will never forget the stupid comment I made to her and I will know that she hasn’t forgotten every time I see her mom. I believe that speaking without first thinking about the consequences is worse for the speaker than the receiver.