Rebecca - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: purpose, question

Have you ever been singing a song, flipped on the radio, and the same exact song you are singing is playing? I believe when events such as this happen, it means that I am on the right path. I believe in fate. For instance, I was driving home from a friend’s house a recently and my mind started to wander. I began to think about a time not too long ago when my mom and I saw a fox running down the street in my neighborhood, which is extremely rare to see. My mind moved from thinking about the fox to realizing how dark it was out that night. Putting two and two together I decided that I should turn on my high beams to avoid hitting any animals that may be hiding in the shadows. As a started to move my fingers towards my high beam switch I noticed something moving in front of me. In a blur, the same fox I had been thinking about a few seconds earlier darted in front of my car barely missing my tires. Some may think I’m psychic, but I believe it was fate.

I’m not saying that there is no such thing as free will, but I do think that everything happens for a reason. I believe that there is a set path for each one of us, filled with different decisions and choices, and that ultimately lead us to the same ending point. I believe that every person that I meet is meant to affect my life in some way. The stranger who smiles at me on the street was meant to brighten my day and the man I was in a relationship with was sent to teach me how to love. I believe that fate affects our feelings and emotions. You might flip through the magazine and read an article that could change your life. You may be drawn to a person only to find out they are your true love. You may have feelings of de ja vu and wonder, “When have I been here before?” while you should be thinking, “This is where I should be.” Moments that seem insignificant should not be taken lightly. I believe that there is no such thing as coincidences. When something weird happens, question it!

You may believe that you make your own decisions and mold your own life. You may even think that there is no secret meaning behind everyday events. But the next time you are singing, and the radio answers you, please just ask why.