Marie-Louise - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: place, pleasure

I Believe in the Power of Suds

Being a full time student is a lot to handle. Add to that a forty-hour workweek, maybe some overtime. And don’t forget the bills and the mortgage. Life is stressful, whether you are a small child or a working adult, and each of us deals with stress in different ways. Some folks hit the gym, some write poetry, others become addicts, and many individuals look to religion to find their own peace of mind. Me? I take bubble baths. The kinds of bubbles don’t matter, just as long as there are lots of ‘em!

I find that partaking in a bubble bath is my way of dealing with the stresses of the world. The bathtub is one of the few places in my home where there is no television, no cell phone, no computer, no Internet, no chance for human interaction, and no worries whatsoever. When I shut the bathroom door, it’s as if I’m closing the only contact I have with the outside world. Everything that makes me miserable is on the other side of that door, and what I encounter on the inside is nothing but comfort, tranquility, and relaxation. Friends say my bathroom looks more like a Bath and Body Works storage room than an actual bathroom.

If I spend the day dealing with rude and obnoxious people at work, the first thing I do whet I get home is take a bath. If I just got home from a weekend out of town, or from hanging out with my friends’ three-year-old bulldozer of a son, I deserve a bath! If I am smack-dab in the middle of exam week, or I just had a really big math project due, I rediscover the Epsom salts living at the bottom of my linen closet. If I have a paper due that I’m just not feeling too good about, I definitely break out the Mr. Bubbles.

A bubble bath is a mundane task that a lot of people take for granted, but it’s the way I relax. Sitting in silence, surrounded by tiny multi-colored bubbles that smell of vanilla, a cherry blossom, or even peppermint, carries me far away from life’s demands. The atmosphere I create for myself is one of perfection. There’s just something about being engulfed in the warmth that’s so comforting, while the bubbles take me back to my childhood, when taking a bath was a door into a whole new world of excitement, adventure and splashing. Now taking a bubble bath is my escape from the excitement of daily life.

Feeling good about yourself is the easiest way to deal with the constant and wide variety of obstacles life throws at you. It’s refreshing to know and remember that something so childish as taking a bubble bath can leave you feeling collected, revitalized, and ready to take on whatever comes your way.