Sophie - Austin, Texas
Themes: change

A wise man once said that “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” This man’s name was John F. Kennedy, known for his support of equal rights for all.

I believe that change is essential for growth and progress. Looking at basic human development, it is obvious that change occurs throughout one’s lifetime. These changes encompass the physical, emotional and psychological, and are necessary for moving forward in life.

Looking back on my eighteen year lifespan, I have certain periods of time that were very special to me. For example, when I was ten years old, I was on a soccer team with my best friend, and we were good enough to stay undefeated the entire season. When I turned eleven things changed, and I quit soccer. I remember wishing at times that I could go back to being ten years old, and stay that happy for the rest of my life. In my mind, everything had been perfect, and life was good, with no stress. At that point I did not understand why change was necessary.

More recently, I had another special time in my life: senior year of high school. I was captain of my swim team and was leading them to the state meet, doing very well in school, had my first real job, and I was dating the nicest guy I had ever met, who also happened to be captain of the cross country team and a state runner. My family has always been very close, and at that time we were finishing building my parents’ dream home in the country. Then I started college in the fall. I moved away from home, stopped swimming, and had to quit my job because I was moving to a different city. My boyfriend decided that he wanted to start college without a girlfriend. My family was far away, and I felt lost and hopeless. It took me a long time to stop looking back and wishing that I could go back to that year in my life. The boy that I had fallen so completely in love with was at the same university, and I saw him around campus several days a week, which made it so hard for me to get over him. When I went home to visit for the first time, my parents had moved into their big house, and everything was new to me. I longed for the familiar, but things had irreversibly changed.

The end of the first semester is drawing to a close. Looking back, I see how far I have come, and I have learned so much in these past six months that college alone never could have taught me. I have grown and matured and learned some of life’s toughest lessons. If change were a person I could talk to right now, I would look them in the eyes and say “bring it on”.