Melani - Vancouver, Washington

My Epiphany

My drug use was like falling in a damp and bottomless well. My experience was dark, chilling and seemly with out end. I had been high on meth for two weeks straight. My life was flashing before me: drugs, jail, foster care, parents, and parties, not sleeping for days, and then, finally, crashing. I began to remember the feelings I had when I would come down off meth and my frantic searches to find more. I remembered that I had gotten kicked out of both my high school and my parents’ homes just few weeks ago. Then, I began to think about my childhood. I thought about playing hockey with my father, along with few other kids from the neighborhood, cooking with my mother, and playing games with my brother. I was smiling; I did not remember the last time I smiled like that.

I got up and walk over to the mirror; I touched my face and looked at my eyes. I was a mess and did not remember how I got this way. As I was looking in the mirror I realized that I had not only failed myself, but I had failed my parents as well. No one close to me would give me a second chance; I had lost everything, but I knew I had to do something.

Picking up the phone and calling the police was the first step towards escaping my nightmare. Since I was listed as a runaway, they came, picked me up and I spent the night at a youth shelter. The next day a lady came in to talk with me. I explained to her that I truly wanted help this time and together we chose a rehab which we thought would best suit my needs. Everyone had given up on me and this lady knew it. But, she did something amazing for me; she gave me a second chance, when no one else would.

Today I have been clean from meth for almost two years. Not only has my high school let me back in, but I am a positive example student for my peers. I attend the Running Start program, which means I take college classes and receive both high school and college credits, simultaneously. I also work part time. This year I will receive thirteen high school credits, and I believe I will graduate on time.

Before that night, I never believed in second chances. That night I took the first step which led me to a second chance. Now, I have rekindled the relationships with my parents, and everyone else around me. I truly care about life and the people I love. I believe that our purpose in life is to learn, to learn from our mistakes, our experiences, and our accomplishments. It is human nature to make mistakes and it is human nature to fix them gaining another chance.