John - Auburn, Washington

? I believe in God, Jesus, My Dad, My Mom and Me.

? I believe in Remembering, Honoring, Learning and Doing.

? I believe that what we should do is to listen to the stories of those who have gone before us with Awe and Wonder.

? I believe we should build on what we have been taught so that we can move forward.

? I believe that everything we do should make those who have going before us Proud!

? I believe we should live out lives in such a manor that those who come after us will want to take our example as a baseline for their lives.

I believe that we can gain most from others, who are living or Not. My father passed away from Cancer in 1977 when I was just 16 years old. My parents had me when they were older and I did not get to really know my dad. At that time in my life I was involved with school and church youth group activities. It all happened very fast, one day we were going on vacation and the next I was helping him take a bath. Not something that a 16 year old boy should be doing. After the time of his passing my mom and I had to take care of each other, and we did an outstanding job of it. I am now 45 and I am still learning from my Dad. I have started to volunteer with the American Cancer Society Relay for life. I was asked to help set up and take down at last years relay and next thing you know I am saying “sure, I will chair the 2007 Relay. After being asked I did a lot of praying, talking to my family and digging deep into my past to see if I have what it takes. I have felt that my dad is right there with me all along the way, and I keep hearing “way to go son, that’s my boy”. There have been things that I did that cause me to stop and think, “where did that came from and how would I know to do that”. The next thing I know my mom would tell me that was something my dad would have done.

So, I do believe that we learn from those who have gone before us, and I know that I want to live my life as an example for those who are coming after me, weather I get a chance to meet them or not.