Katy - bloomington, Indiana
Themes: addiction

I believe drugs ruin lives. And not just the lives of those who are doing them. Family, friends, sometimes even a person the person doing the drugs doesn’t know.

My name is Katy. I’m thirteen. And I have seen what drugs do to people. I have seen what happens when someone starts and can’t stop. And it doesn’t matter what it is. Pills, weed, crack, cocaine, meth, heroin, strong liquor… I wish I could say that was all of them. I really do. But it’s not. And even though we try to stop it by making it illegal and putting people in prison, it hasn’t stopped. If it does it’s not going to be soon.

The problem is, you can’t tell when it’s started. Lots of people have pills, and you can’t deny a twenty-one year old their right to buy liquor.

When they run out of money is when the problem really starts. All of a sudden, they’re asking you for money… money they can’t- or won’t- pay back. Their car breaks down and they sell it. They lose their house and move in with a boy/girlfriend who’s only gonna be around as long as they can help pay. Then they wind up in jail, and can’t get themselves out, so they play the ‘I’m sorry I’ll never do it again’ or ‘I’ll go to A.A., I’ll get help,’ sob stories. And so you- or someone close to you- pays them out, lets them stay at their house. So life is fine, goes back to normal.

Two weeks later, they’ve dropped out of A.A., they’re asking for money, and the cycle starts all over again. You want to help them, but not the way they want you to help them. You want to help them get their life back. The problem is, they don’t. The fact that you can’t let your kids be around them, that some people can’t be around them, hits hard on family and friends. It affects the parents the most. Their kid can’t pull themselves together enough to get out of this rut. And it keeps getting worse.

I think that somehow, we must stop this. Like I stated earlier, if it stops it probably won’t be soon. But if we can help it along, we should. One less family despairing because of the use of drugs. One less kid you have to explain to why they can’t see their aunt.

My name is Katy. I am thirteen.

And I believe drugs ruin lives.