Wendy - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe I will never know what I want to be when I grow up and that’s just fine. For some people their dreams as children to become something when they grow up are as clear as day. They follow the path to get there and live happily, or otherwise filling their days with the work they wanted as children. For others, the clarity on their career goals comes later. Perhaps it’s a college class, or an experience working with someone who does what they want to do. Yet for me and I believe many other people there is different path.

I grew up behind an older brother. He happened to be perfect, so it was difficult to live up to the standard he set. Thank God my parents are loving and understanding people as they didn’t hold me to those standards. Our family knew my smart older brother would take on the family business when he grew up and graduated from business school. The dye was cast. I wrote something in the fourth grade that my mom reminded me of a few years ago. It was a career essay probably titled ‘What I want to be When I Grow Up’ I had written that I wanted to be a wife and mother. I had a mom who was both of those things and she loved her life and I wanted that life too. When pressed for what paying job I wanted to do, I would always tell people I was going to start my own taxi cab company for kids. I would drive them places when their parents couldn’t or wouldn’t.

Today I am a wife and mother to two children and one on the way and I do run a taxi service for kids of sorts…I just don’t get paid. Throughout my adolescence and into my adulthood I have ‘changed’ career goals more times than I can count. There is a theme to my choices; most of them involve some form of entrepreneurship. I have washed cars, served food, tutored students, babysat kids, managed a candy store, and opened and run two small businesses. My resume is a mess. Currently, I am training to educate families on childbirth and plan on eventually becoming a doula- a childbirth assistant. I have no doubt I will accomplish these goals, but they are by no means the piece de resistance.

My husband and I plan to buy a small farm in the next ten years and raise goats for milk and grow raspberries among other things. Also, when out children grow up and get out we plan on buying a Bed and Breakfast in Maine and spend our summers cooking for strangers and ironing beautiful sheets. We still don’t have plans for the winters in out older years, but we have lots of time and God knows I have never been short on ideas.